September 2, 2014

Philippine House rejects Aquino impeachment - The Olympian



— The Philippine House of Representatives' justice committee on Tuesday rejected three impeachment complaints against President Benigno Aquino III, killing the challenges.


The committee, dominated by Aquino allies, voted 54-4 against each of the complaints, declaring them insufficient in substance.


The complaints were filed by mostly left-wing activists and sponsored by the House's left-wing bloc. They charged Aquino of culpable violation of the constitution, betrayal of public trust and corruption.


The complaints cited Aquino's implementation of a major economic stimulus program declared partly unconstitutional by the Supreme Court and a defense cooperation agreement that gives American troops greater access to bases across the Philippines. Aquino has denied any wrongdoing.


The son of pro-democracy icons, Aquino won the presidency by a wide margin in 2010 on a promise to rid his nation of corruption and widespread poverty.


"Mr. Chair, this is really a terrible day for accountability, a terrible day for the congressional power over the purse, a terrible day for the Filipino people," said Rep. Neri Colmenares, one of the sponsors of the complaints, addressing Rep. Niel Tupas Jr., the committee chairman.


About a dozen youths who raised protest banners and chanted "Oust Noynoy!" had to be forcibly evicted from the room by security personnel. Noynoy is Aquino's nickname.


A spokesman for Aquino, Herminio Coloma Jr., expressed satisfaction with the result. "Just as the president said in an interview last week, he was confident that justice will prevail, and that is our position in this," he said.





Source: Top Stories - Google News

Tuesday, September 02, 2014 by Ridgid Sparrow · 0

Philippine House rejects Aquino impeachment - The Olympian



— The Philippine House of Representatives' justice committee on Tuesday rejected three impeachment complaints against President Benigno Aquino III, killing the challenges.


The committee, dominated by Aquino allies, voted 54-4 against each of the complaints, declaring them insufficient in substance.


The complaints were filed by mostly left-wing activists and sponsored by the House's left-wing bloc. They charged Aquino of culpable violation of the constitution, betrayal of public trust and corruption.


The complaints cited Aquino's implementation of a major economic stimulus program declared partly unconstitutional by the Supreme Court and a defense cooperation agreement that gives American troops greater access to bases across the Philippines. Aquino has denied any wrongdoing.


The son of pro-democracy icons, Aquino won the presidency by a wide margin in 2010 on a promise to rid his nation of corruption and widespread poverty.


"Mr. Chair, this is really a terrible day for accountability, a terrible day for the congressional power over the purse, a terrible day for the Filipino people," said Rep. Neri Colmenares, one of the sponsors of the complaints, addressing Rep. Niel Tupas Jr., the committee chairman.


About a dozen youths who raised protest banners and chanted "Oust Noynoy!" had to be forcibly evicted from the room by security personnel. Noynoy is Aquino's nickname.


A spokesman for Aquino, Herminio Coloma Jr., expressed satisfaction with the result. "Just as the president said in an interview last week, he was confident that justice will prevail, and that is our position in this," he said.





Source: Top Stories - Google News

Tuesday, September 02, 2014 by Ridgid Sparrow · 0

Sharon Cuneta, TV5 still have ‘unresolved issues’



THE camp of Sharon Cuneta has confirmed that TV5 has prematurely terminated the Megastar's previous contract with the network.


In an official statement released by Cuneta's management team, Viva Entertainment, through veteran showbiz columnist and The Philippine Star Entertainment editor Ricky Lo, it was disclosed that the singer/actress contract with the network officially ended last August 18, two years ahead of its 2016 expiration.


Cuneta then announced it on social media, which TV5 immediately confirmed. The station even wished the seasoned actress well in her future endeavors.


But Viva said there are "unresolved issues" in the pre-termination of contract of the Megastar.


"Underneath these cordial expressions, however, lie a host of unresolved issues pertaining to the pre-termination of the contract, including the causes thereof and the consequential injuries suffered by the aggrieved party," the statement read.


"These matters are left for resolution privately between the parties themselves or, if necessary, through an appropriate formal proceeding," it added.


Cuneta's management team added the actress intends to spend this time with family and at the same time reflect on her next move in show business.


To recall, the actress posted an open letter on Facebook baring her personal and professional disappointments.


The actress said she made some mistakes decisions in her career and she lost her focus and drive to better herself and it eventually affected her craft.


"In my desire to venture into new territory and broaden my world, with the intention of giving you, my fans, supporters, and friends the rest of the best of me that I still had left, I made certain decisions that in the end, turned out to be of the wrong kind," she wrote.


"It wasn't okay when I felt my "gifts" weren't being used to the fullest, or correctly, or even at all. So this became a vicious cycle. Ignoring that I had gained so much weight and therefore had limited myself to certain movie roles when there was so much more I wanted to do... And forgetting that as I was doing all this, time was passing me by," she added.


As of posting, there was still no word whether Cuneta is moving to a new network. (Sunnex)





Source: Entertainment | Sun.Star Online

Tuesday, September 02, 2014 by Ridgid Sparrow · 0